In 1957, the Chairman of Southampton Art Club and newly qualified art teacher, Phillip Lambert, was invited by the local
Further Education Authority to give tuition to the local Womens’ Institute Group at Warsash. Hampshire County Council agreed
to pay his tutoring fees if there were at least 12 students. Weekly classes were initially held at Miss Drummond’s house
and then at lady Charmier’s house (‘Farthings’) in Shore Road with an average attendance of 20. Mr Lambert suggested that an art
group should be formed although he played no part in its formation.
Formation of the Group
On 28th November 1958, at an open meeting held at ‘Fairlight’, Brook Avenue, it was decided to form an art group to further the interest
of its members in the visual arts. The first committee comprised Mr C. Delmar-Morgan (Chairman), Mrs D. Taylor (Vice-Chairman),
Mrs H.A. Rosier (Secretary), Mrs R. Spencer (Treasurer), Mrs M. Bradby, Mrs C. Bond and Master Peter Jenks.
At the first committee meeting, draft rules presented by the Chairman were approved for presentation at the first Group AGM when they
were adopted. The second AGM was held at the Silver Fern Restaurant on 18th January 1961. The new committee comprised Sir Adrian Charmier (Chairman),
Mrs H.A. Rosier (Vice-Chairman), Mr J.E. Ormond (Secretary), Mrs R. Spencer (Treasurer), Mrs J. Ormond, Mrs Delmar-Morgan, Mrs E. Peters,
Mrs Smith and Mrs Bond. Committee meetings were held mainly at ‘Farthings’.
Initially the annual subscription was 15 shillings (75p) with junior members (<18 years) paying half price. The current fee is £12
and sadly there are no junior members. The first Exhibition in Victory Hall (hire charge for four days, £5, generously paid by Mr E.V. Edwards)
and the catalogue was 6d (2.5p). Nevertheless, the exhibition made a loss of £2.11.2 (£1.30). In 2007 the Exhibition made a surplus of £293.
In 1961 the bank balance stood at £18.7.10 whereas in 2007 it was £8370. Lecturers at evening meetings were initially paid 2 guineas (£2.20)
but by 1962 the fee had increased to 3 or 4 guineas, especially if the speaker had to travel from London. Now speakers ask a fee of £150 or more.
In 1960 the fees for each term of painting class was 10/6 (52p) for members and 12/6 (62p) for non-members.
Membership rose from 28 in 1959 to 36 in 1960, 65 in 1961, and 88 in 1962 compared with 190 in 2008.
A competition to design a logo took place in 1962. It was judged by Peter Folkes, a well-known artist and lecturer at Southampton Art College.
There were seven entries and the winner was Mrs Frances Smith who designed a lobster on a palette floating on a choppy sea, inspired by the
trade in crab and lobster teas served in a converted wooden ship, the ‘Gipsy Queen’ and in a restaurant situated where the car park now sits in
front of the ‘Rising Sun’. Over the years this logo has been modified and the most recent version now graces our Newsletter.
Early talks, held at the Silver Fern Café and subsequently Horseshoe Lodge, covered a great diversity of topics including sculpture
(from cave drawings to contemporary works), drawing from memory, pottery, Goya, 18th C porcelain, architecture, Southampton Art Gallery
and its collections, lithography, printing, lettering and illustration, fabric printing, Byzantine mosaics, Gothic stained glass,
psychology of painting and work done by Southampton College of Art. In 1962 topics included mural painting, colour and tonal value,
and heraldry. By 1963 the room at Horseshoe Lodge was becoming too small and members complained that it smelt of cats!
There is no record for most of the 1970s and 1980s and not much from the 1990s. In December 1988 Mollie Dicker gave a critique of
members’ work, in May 1991 J.F. Lewis talked on ‘Original Victorian Panto’ and in October 1991 there was a demonstration of
portrait in oils by Tom Coates at Warsash Maritime College. In recent years, at our meetings at St. Mary’s Church Hall, we have had a
mix of talks on painters or history of painting and demonstrations of techniques. Attendances are normally 50-70 including a
handful of visitors.
In the 21st century we have taken advantage of current audio-visual technology. We now have a microphone amplification
system for the benefit not only of the speakers but also for members. In 2007 we purchased a state-of the-art camera and
digital projection system which has revolutionised the way we see demonstrations. Even when the demonstrator insists on painting on a
horizontal surface we can project the image onto the screen for all to see. An easel-mounted Anglepoise with 'daylight' bulb now helps both
the artist and audience to see colours more perfectly. Speakers are moving away from using colour transparencies to computer
It was painting classes that led to the formation of the Group and they continue to play a very important role on our activities.
In 1961, Mrs Drummond offered the use of one of her rooms at Warsash Court for the cost of electricity used and with the proviso
that the Group supplied a covering to protect the floor! There were still life classes on Friday afternoon and evening. In addition,
there was a portrait class and a still life class on Tuesday afternoons at Victory Hall, all tutored by Mr Lambert.
Attendances fell from 48 in 1961 to 25 in 1962 and classes were reduced from three to two.
Following an interview with Antony Butler (Chairman), John Ormond (Secretary) and Sheila Perkins, Hugh Knollys was appointed tutor from
1973 until 1979 and classes were held in St Mary’s Church Hall. Whenever the weather allowed, the classes painted en plain air.
Hugh recalled that one day an elderly lady was blown off her stool into the ditch by ‘a gentle zephyr’. He helped her up and she
showed him her painting saying; ‘It’s not very good but I didn’t start painting until I was 70’. He thought it was pretty good for a 72 year
old and then he found out she was 82! Among the painters in this year were Ellen Peters, Gwynne Clare, Josie Cutcliffe, Ros Butler and Doreen Pullen.
Painting out days
The first tutored painting weekend (tutor Anthony Atkinson), took place on 13 June 1959 at Titchfield Drill Hall in conjunction
with Fareham and Gosport art groups, and was funded by the Carnegie Trust. Early venues included Botley boatyard (now Botley Quay),
Roche Court, and Camper & Nicholson, Gosport. More recently, painting days (sometimes tutored but normally not) have visited Hill Head Harbour,
Netley Abbey, Porchester Castle, Fareham Creek, Wickham Square, Warsash strawberry fields, Hamble foreshore, Titchfield Abbey,
St. Margaret’s, and Titchfield. The recent tutored painting out day at Swanwick nature reserve attracted a full complement of 15 artists –
well above the normal take up (tutor Alan Trussler).
In 1960 there was an outing to the Tate Gallery Picasso Exhibition (the coach hire was £14). Suggestion from the AGM for outings
in 1962 included Longleat, Arundel Castle, the RA Summer Exhibition, Stonehenge and Wisley; the RA trip was cancelled through lack of support.
However, in 1989 the trip to the RA was very popular and the cost of the coach travel was £5 per head.
In 1988 the Group went on a coach trip to Paris and Marjory Wanklin recalls: ‘According to the driver, the coach company apparently
were instructed to provide a more superior hotel than for their usual tours to cater for a select group from Warsash. When he eventually
found the hotel, it was sandwiched between cinemas showing rather saucy films to judge by their posters. My room was covered completely
in green velvet apart from a mirror on the ceiling. Not the sort of hotel for a staid group from Warsash. We all thought it a huge joke,
but it was so convenient for the centre of Paris’. On another trip to Paris in 1994, the hotel was on the outskirts but the
driver took the group to the centre of Paris each day. The tour included Monet’s garden at Giverney. An attempt to make a further trip
in 2006 was abandoned through lack of support.
In the past few years coach outings have been less popular and it has been possible to fill a coach only by inviting members from other clubs
to take up otherwise vacant places.
As now, the first exhibition was held at Victory Hall. The screens were loaned from Fareham Art Group and 125 exhibits were put on display.
Two screens were later made (at a cost of £1.12.5 per board). The Secretary ordered two dozen bottles of sherry for the 1961private view;
it was suggested that this was insufficient so he ordered a further dozen! A total of 127 exhibits were on display and 17 pictures were
sold (20 in 1960) but attendance was higher (100 per day) and 275 catalogues were sold. 1962 saw an increased attendance (550) and
sales increased. In 2007 there were 356 exhibits.
The continued success of Warsash & District Art Group will depend on the support and enthusiasm of its membership. The majority of our
members are retired and we need to continue to recruit new members to keep our numbers up. Our evening meetings, painting classes and
annual exhibition are well supported. There has been less support for painting out days and for outings. Indeed, the latter may have to
be discontinued as the cost of travel is increasing so rapidly. We need volunteers to serve tea and coffee at evening meetings and to
run the desk at the exhibition. Finally, we are trying to encourage people to put themselves forward to serve on the committee as new
members bring new ideas. Without management the Group will founder. Please help to make it to continue to be successful into the next
- 1961-1962 Sir Adrian Charmier
- 1963-1967 Mr D.M. Mackinley
- 1968-1973 Mr A.B. Butler
- 1980-1984 Mrs K.M. Woodsford
- 1985-1986 Mrs H.G. Clare
- 1986-1987 Mrs E. Peters
- 1987-1990 Mr. E. Battersby
- 1991-1994 Mrs D. Scotts
- 1995-1997 Dr E. Hendrikz
- 1989-1999 Cdr P.F Martin
- 2000-2003 Dr T. Wade-West
- 2003-2007 Mrs B. Maybury
- 2007- Dr T. Wade-West
- 1958-1959 Mrs H.A. Rosier
- 1960-1975 Mr. J.E. Ormond
- 1977-1979 Mrs K.M. Woodsford
- 1980-1983 Mrs A. Coombs
- 1984-1986 Mrs J. Cutcliffe
- 1987-1994 Dr E. Hendrikz
- 1995-1999 Mrs D. Gregson
- 2000-2005 Mr P. Ball
- 2005-2010 Prof. J.W. Murray
- 2010- Mr. B. Gray
The sources of information include the (incomplete) records of Minutes and recollections of founder members (Ellen Peters,
Josie Cutcliffe, Elizabeth Orton, George and Joan King, Pat Newman, Elizabeth Hendrikz, Kathleen Woodsford and Hugh Knollys).
The first draft was prepared by Peter and Jo’ Ball with additions by Olive French and rewritten by John Murray.